(Photo by Robin. 2006)
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Ain’t that the truth?
It’s the little things that tend to excite me, bring me joy, or make me feel content with life. It’s the little things that can throw off a day, too.
Little things I enjoy:
- My granddaughter (of course she’s on the top of my list!)
- Holding hands with my husband
- A good laugh
- Spotting an unusual (to me) wildflower or mushroom while hiking/walking
- A long, hot shower
- Sitting on the beach, watching the waves roll in
- Time to read a good book
- Cooking a delicious meal
- Taking a few moments each day to do a gratitude list, mentally or by writing it down
- The Best Socks in the Universe (might as well link to them since, like it or not, it’s usually my top entry)
- My favorite comfy cotton hoodie
- A cool breeze on a hot day
- A cup of tea, any kind of tea
- A good conversation with my sons
- Deep, deep breaths, the kind that go right down to my toes (I can do that now that I don’t smoke)
- Smoke-free environments
- The scent of fresh air that wafts through the apartment when I open the windows
- Listening to the spring peepers at night
- Watching fireflies in the summer
- Watching someone I love enjoy themselves in some activity
- Sitting quietly, being in the moment
- Walking barefoot in dewy grass
- Letting the colors of a sunrise or sunset wash over me
- Floating in the pond
- The sound of thousands of bees buzzing in the wildflower meadow
Well, this could go for a very long time (and it’s sounding a little like one of those dating things: “I enjoy long walks on the beach, picnics in the park…”). Some of these things aren’t really little things, either (my granddaughter, for instance, may be young and small in stature but she’s a big deal in my life).
Let’s make this an interactive post. I know there are people out there reading. Time to speak up. What are some of the little things in life you enjoy?